Steve Bruce has opened up on his discussions with Mike Ashley over potential new signings at Newcastle, with the club currently working on bringing in reinforcements this month.
Newcastle‘s options have been severely depleted in recent weeks following a host of injuries, Dwight Gayle and Paul Dummett limping off in the first half of last weekend’s draw at Wolves to add to a growing list of absentees that saw the Magpies without as many as 10 players for the trip to Molineux.
Newcastle made it through to the FA Cup fourth round with a third round replay win over Rochdale at St James’ Park on Tuesday evening, with controversial owner Mike Ashley in attendance for the first time this season ahead of talks with manager Steve Bruce regarding the clubs January transfer plans.
Bruce said the club are working on potential additions, but insists they are willing to wait until the summer if the right players are not available during the current window.
“We just have to make sure we’re better,” Bruce said in his post-match press conference. “The ones we’re trying to go after are better. If we can get them, we’ll try it.
“My take on it is we have had one or two (so far) it wasn’t possible to get.
“We’re still trying for one or two and we’ve got a couple of plates spinning. If I can’t improve it, I’ve got to be patient and wait.”
Newcastle have been linked with former Everton winger Ademola Lookman among a number of potential January targets.