Newcastle are reportedly interested in re-signing out-of-contract forward Andy Carroll.
The forward is available on a free transfer being released by West Ham at the end of last season, with the 30-year-old being linked with a return to the North East.
Injuries have plagued Carroll in recent seasons, the England international having made just three league starts for Manuel Pellegrini’s side last season.
Despite his torrid injury record, the Newcastle Chronicle are one of a number of outlets reporting that the Magpies are interested in a deal to bring Carroll back to the club.
Steve Bruce is believed to be a big fan of the powerful forward, and the club have checked on his fitness after he underwent surgery for an ankle problem earlier this year.
Bruce is said to be keen to add another striker to his squad, with Newcastle having seen Ayoze Perez and the on-loan Salomon Rondon depart this summer.
Provided Carroll passes the club’s medical checks, his wages are not said to be a problem with the Geordie willing to take a significant pay cut to re-join his boyhood club.
A deal to sign Carroll is not constrained by the 5 pm deadline, although the Daily Mail reckon that a move could be concluded today.
NUFC will sign Andy Carroll TODAY. Medical checks done. One year deal agreed. Low basic wage with incentives to play. More @MailSport
— Craig Hope (@CraigHope_DM) August 8, 2019