James Milner has admitted there have been no progress regarding a new deal at Liverpool, despite the midfielder having entered the final 12 months of his contract at Anfield.
The 33-year-old has revealed that he offered to hold talks with Liverpool last year regarding an extension, although the club wasn’t interested in such talks at the time.
“As it stands, last year we spoke to the club and asked them if they wanted to do something and they said not at that time,” Milner told the Telegraph.
“We haven’t heard anything since, so that’s where we are at.
“All I can do is concentrate on my football and do what I can. But in terms of where I am with my contract, that’s what has happened up until now and I haven’t heard anything from the club.”
Having broken through at Leeds as a 16-year-old, Milner is now preparing for his 18th Premier League season, though the former England international expects to play on for several years to come.
“There are players coming through now who weren’t even born when I first played! It’s all right until you get into pre-season and you are doing the medical tests. They get asked when they were born and you hear their date of birth and you’re like (oh God!)
“Listen, I remember making my debut and how lucky I was to have senior players around me. If I can be half as good with these guys as the older players were with me at Leeds, I will help them as much as I can.”
See also –
James Milner in pre-season training with Liverpool. A 33-year-old machine 🤖https://t.co/erxyHvjkKP
— TEAMtalk (@TEAMtalk) July 9, 2019