Graeme Souness has said that Manchester United’s decision to sack Jose Mourinho hasn’t come as a surprise.
United sacked their manager this morning after what has been the worst start to a season in the Premier League era, with the former Chelsea boss leaving the club in sixth position in the table, an incredible 19 points off league leaders Liverpool following the 3-1 defeat at Anfield on Sunday.
While the nature of the Portuguese’s departure may have come as a surprise to some, Graeme Souness has said he wasn’t at all shocked by the news.
“I’m not too surprised, the writing’s been on the wall for several weeks,” he told Sky Sports.
“I think something happened last week that told me the end was imminent. His agent should have stated that he was happy there and was going to see his contract out. That was a classic case of a warning shot to the directors at Man United.
“You get a feel of it, you’re not getting the same communication. I think he would have known this was coming, but I’m not surprised.”
Asked whether Mourinho could have any complaints after his sacking, Souness said: “No, I don’t think so, with the money he’s spent and how the players are playing at present time. I said on Super Sunday that I couldn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.
“Listen, this is Man United we’re talking about. I was at the Man City game (last month), which again was a Super Sunday match. They didn’t turn up and didn’t want to take Man City on in a game of football. I saw exactly the same against Liverpool. I saw at Bournemouth (when United played them last month), a man who didn’t want to be there.”