Mason Greenwood could be set to remain outside the England setup for next months internationals despite his impressive start to the season.
Greenwood was named in Gareth Southgate’s 30 man squad for this summer’s European Championships, though pulled out due to an ‘underlying injury’.
His only international experience to date ended in less than ideal circumstances, he and Phil Foden breaking Covid protocols as they invited two women back to a hotel during a trip to Iceland a year ago.
Despite starting the season on fire – netting in all three of Manchester United‘s early-season fixtures – he was a somewhat surprise exclusion from Gareth Southgate’s recent England squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Hungary, Andorra and Poland.
Southgate said that Greenwood is still ‘in his thoughts’ as he opted to give Leeds’ Patrick Bamford his first call up, while Greenwood’s United teammate, Jesse Lingard, was recalled to the squad despite only featuring for four minutes in the Premier League so far this campaign.
However, according to the Mail, Greenwood’s exclusion is believed to be down to an ‘agreement’ between Southgate and United boss, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who is keen to ‘protect’ the 19-year-old.
Having made just one cap for the Three Lions, Greenwood is still eligible to play for Jamaica, though he is claimed to be still ‘totally committed to England’.
The report says that the current protections around the teenager could see him once again excluded for next month’s World Cup qualifiers for the return fixtures against Andorra and Hungary.
Greenwood will be hoping to retain his place in the United starting XI for Saturday’s game against Newcastle, a game that could see Cristiano Ronaldo make his second debut for the Red Devils.
Read – Picking an all-time Premier League Portuguese XI
See also – Opinion: Ronaldo’s return to Man United reveals once more that football has become a joyless world
Subscribe to our social channels:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube