Qualification to Euro 2024 has reached a crucial stage with several nations having booked their place at next summer’s finals in Germany.
Europe’s top teams will compete at the European Championship 2024 in a bid to be crowned the continent’s finest, but which countries are the bookmakers’ favourites to take the crown?
Euro 2024 – The five favourites to win the trophy:
Portugal – 8/1
Portugal are gearing up for next summer’s European Championship in fine form having made a perfect start under new manager Roberto Martinez. Portugal have eight wins from eight games under the former Belgium boss, a run which has seen 32 goals scored and just two conceded.
The 38-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo remains a prolific presence for the national side and has nine goals in his last seven caps, but it is Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes who is the heartbeat of this team. Fernandes leads Euro 2024 qualification for combined goals and assists (12), big chances created (10) and assists (7).
Spain – 7/1
Spain have confirmed their place at the finals after climbing to the top of Group A, winning five and losing one of their six qualification games. Luis de la Fuente’s side are perhaps not the force of old, but remain a threat in major tournaments and boast one of the best midfields in Europe with Manchester City maestro Rodri flanked by Barcelona starlets Pedri and Gavi.
End product has occasionally been a problem for the Spanish, but Alvaro Morata – named as captain of the national team – has found form of late. The 30-year-old has 11 goals in his last 18 appearances in a Spain shirt, including a hat-trick against Georgia last month.
Germany – 6/1
Germany’s preparation for a home tournament appeared to be in chaos after Hansi Flick was sacked last month, with the former Bayern Munich boss becoming the first head coach ever to be sacked by the national team, after five-game winless run and 4-1 friendly loss to Japan.
Julian Nagelsmann has took the role and began with a 3-1 win over the USA this month, before an entertaining friendly draw with Mexico. Jamal Musiala and Florian Wirtz are the great hopes of a Germany team, who have disappointed in recent tournaments with group stage exits at the last two World Cups and a last-16 elimination to England at Euro 2020.
The Germans are not considered favourites by any stretch, but this is Germany. On home soil.
France – 9/2
France boast arguably the most talented squad in the tournament man-for-man and start as second favourites with the bookmakers. Les Bleus have reached each of the last two World Cup finals and possess arguably world football’s finest player in Kylian Mbappe.
Mbappe won the Golden Boot at the World Cup last winter – including a final hat-trick against Argentina – and will be keen to stamp his mark on the European Championship. Mbappe now has 43 goals in 73 games for France and will captain his country into a major tournament for the first time.
France have the experience, and talent, to be crowned champions.
England – 4/1
England start as favourites for Euro 2024, despite a 57-year drought since the Three Lions’ last tournament success. Gareth Southgate’s side have shown improvement in recent finals and have breezed through the qualification process to take their place next summer.
Harry Kane has scored seven goals in qualification and will captain the country next summer, while Jude Bellingham has emerged as a key figure for the Three Lions and is fast developing into one of the world’s best.
England’s squad is packed full of talent and depth, though concerns remain over Southgate’s willingness to unleash his side from their shackles. Given a creative cast that includes Bukayo Saka, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and James Maddison in support of Kane and Bellingham, he would be foolish not to.
Are you interested in betting on Euros 2024?
If you’re keen to bet on the upcoming European Championship and want to prepare for the betting season, here are some betting tips to get you started:
- Research Teams and Players: Get to know the teams and players participating in the tournament. Analyze their recent performances, injuries, and other relevant statistics.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and developments related to the tournament. This includes updates on team dynamics, coaching changes, and any significant events that might impact the competition.
- Use new betting sites: New betting sites often offer bonuses and offers on upcoming events early in the season. However, ensure the new betting site is safe to use and is licensed with UKGC.
- Understand Betting Markets: Familiarize yourself with the various betting markets available for the Euro 2024. These may include match outcomes, over/under goals, top goalscorers, and more.
- Bankroll Management: Set a budget for your betting activities and stick to it. Don’t wager more than you can afford to lose.
- Shop for Odds: Different sportsbooks may offer slightly different odds for the same events. Compare odds from multiple bookmakers to get the best value for your bets.
- Consider Special Bets: In addition to standard match outcomes, consider exploring special bets or prop bets that offer different opportunities for wagering.
- Avoid Emotional Betting: Don’t let your emotions or biases toward a particular team cloud your judgment. Make decisions based on data and analysis.
- Be Cautious with Accumulators: Accumulator bets, or parlays, can offer attractive payouts, but they are also riskier. Be mindful of the increased difficulty in predicting multiple outcomes.
- Know the Tournament Format: Understand the format of the Euro 2024, including group stages, knockout rounds, and any unique rules or tiebreakers.
Use Responsible Gambling Practices: If you choose to bet on the Euro 2024 or any sporting event, do so responsibly. Set limits and seek help if you believe you have a gambling problem.