eden hazard real madrid
in ,

Hazard reveals Real Madrid talks started 12 months ago

Eden Hazard has revealed talks over his transfer to Real Madrid began 12 months ago.

The Belgian international completed his switch from Chelsea to the Bernabeu last week, signing a five-year contract in a deal which could rise to a club-record £130m for the La Liga side.

The 28-year-old will be realising a boyhood dream by moving to the Spanish capital, and has revealed that discussions over the move first began after last summer’s World Cup.

“It is true that everything began last year, after the World Cup,” Hazard said when unveiled to the media at the Bernabeu on Thursday.

Embed from Getty Images

“But I stayed one more year at Chelsea. I think things went very well personally, and also with the team, winning the Europa League.

“This is the perfect time to join Real Madrid.

“I have met with the president just once, in London, at an event.

“He told me it was time to come to Real Madrid.

“I was very happy when he said that.”