Erik ten Hag’s reign at Manchester United has began in nightmare fashion, with back-to-back defeats leaving the Dutchman without a point in the Premier League.
Even in an era of disappointments for the Red Devils, their embarrassing 4-0 loss at Brentford this weekend was a new low. Ten Hag’s team were humiliated on a humbling evening in west London, as the Bees ran riot to score four goals before the half-time break.
The optimism that arrived with Ten Hag’s appointment has been replaced with despair among the club’s supporters, whose team are bottom of the Premier League following arguably their worst performance of the modern era.
David de Gea had a disaster in goal for the Red Devils, allowing Josh Dasilva’s tame effort to squirm in for the game’s opener, before a dreadful pass to Christian Eriksen allowed Mathias Jensen to steal possession and score a second.
Ben Mee bundled in a third for a goal on his home debut and Bryan Mbuemo made it 4-0 to complete the rout after just 35 minutes.
The numbers make for grim reading after a dreadful display from United.
Here are ten of the most embarrassing statistics from the club’s 4-0 defeat at Brentford.
Erik ten Hag brought his squad in for extra training on Sunday, cancelling a planned day off to put the Red Devils through a gruelling session. The Dutchman’s decision came after United had been outrun and outfought at Brentford.
- United ran 13.8km less than the Bees (109.km to 95.6km), made 25 less sprints (90 to 65) and managed just a third of their opponents final third pressures (21 to 7).
- United have now conceded 4+ league goals in the Premier League on seven occasions since the start of last season. Leicester, Liverpool (x2), Watford, Manchester City and Brighton have all also scored 4+ goals in a league fixture against the Red Devils.
Gary Neville and Jamie Redknapp are CLASHING on #SNF 😳😳🔥🔥pic.twitter.com/e9d3jAeZN2
— Sky Sports (@SkySports) August 13, 2022
- The defeat at Brentford was the first time United have conceded four goals inside the opening 35 minutes of a Premier League fixture. Twice before the club have conceded four before half-time, against Tottenham (2020) and Liverpool (2021), but never in faster fashion than against the Bees.
- United have now conceded 27 goals in away Premier League fixtures in 2022. No team in the division has conceded more this calendar year.
- Erik ten Hag’s team are now bottom of the Premier League. It is the first time the Red Devils have been bottom of the division since August 1992.
- Only Southampton (5) and Wolves (6) have picked up less than United’s seven points across their last 10 league games.
- The loss at Brentford continued a woeful record on the road for United in 2022. It’s now seven consecutive away league defeats for the club, their worst run since 1936.
Manchester United lose seven consecutive away games for the first time in Premier League history 💀 pic.twitter.com/iu2DzjkJLu
— GOAL (@goal) August 13, 2022
- Including the final two fixtures of last season, it’s now four straight league defeats for the Red Devils. The club have not had such a run since February 1979.
- Brentford had not previously beaten United since before the Second World War. The Bees’ last win in this fixture had come on 12 February 1938.
- United’s starting XI at Brentford was almost eight times more expensive than their opponents. Ten Hag’s team cost £424m, with Thomas Frank’s entire XI having cost the Bees just £55m.
Read – Ranking the 10 best players outside the Premier League’s top six
Read Also – Iconic Performances: Rivaldo and the greatest hat-trick ever scored
Subscribe to our social channels:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube