ed woodward manchester united
in

UEFA considering action against Ed Woodward following his role in ESL coup

UEFA are said to be considering action against Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward following his role in the European Super League proposals.

Woodward was one of a number of leading figures behind the plans for a breakaway competition and has come under fierce criticism for his involvement, the backlash having seen the Red Devils announce the 49-year-old will step down from his position at the end of the year.

 

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin brandished Woodward a ‘snake’ in the fall-out from the ESL plans, saying he had held positive talks with the United chief over the Champions League reforms before the shock announcement of a breakaway competition.

”For me, I have seen many things in my life. I was a criminal lawyer for 24 years so I have seen different people, but I have never ever seen people like that,” Ceferin said on Monday.

“If I start with Ed Woodward, because it will be shorter, I didn’t have much contact with him but he called me last Thursday in the evening. He said he is very satisfied with the reforms, that he fully supports the reforms and that the only thing he would like to speak about is Financial Fair Play. Obviously, he had already signed something else.”

Proposals for a closed shop Super League have since collapsed amid a furious reaction from the footballing world, 10 of the 12 confirmed clubs having withdrawn their interest following anger and outrage from supporters.

According to L’Equipe [via Sport Witness] European football’s governing body is now considering action against those involved, though will target individuals rather than the clubs they represent, with Woodward amongst those who could be punished.

The report says that Woodward’s roles within UEFA and the European Club Association meant that he ‘had access to confidential information about business partners or broadcasters’, with a debate set to take place this week to decide what course of action to take against him and fellow protagonist, Juventus chief, Andrea Agnelli.

The news comes following reports this week that the 14 Premier League teams outside of the division’s ‘big six’ have also called for sanctions to be placed on Woodward by the FA, the rest of the sides seeking disciplinary action for his role as an instigator of ESL plans.

Read – Ranking the five players to score the most Premier League goals without winning the title

Read Also – Iconic Performances: Roy Keane’s superhuman display v Juventus

Subscribe to our social channels:

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments