Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has responded to speculation that Eric Bailly could leave Manchester United this summer and believes the defender will sign a new contract at Old Trafford.
Bailly’s future has been a source of speculation in recent months with the centre-back set to enter the final year of his contract this summer, reports having suggested the Ivory Coast international was keen to move on in search of regular first-team football.
The 27-year-old has endured an injury-ravaged career in the Premier League since signing from Villarreal in a £30m deal five years ago, failing to feature in more than 20 fixtures in a season since his maiden campaign with the Red Devils.
Bailly has played just 12 times in the Premier League over the past two campaigns, though has performed well when called upon this season with the defender’s athleticism complimenting Harry Maguire at centre-back.
Solskjaer has now opened up on the defender’s future amid reported interest from Inter Milan and says he doesn’t see ‘any issues’ in agreeing a new deal with the star.
“Eric has played well when he has played. I know there has been speculation, we are talking to him about his contract so I don’t see any issues really,” Solskjaer told his pre-match press conference ahead of the Red Devils’ clash with Burnley this weekend.
Bailly has been unavailable for the club’s past four fixtures after contracting Covid-19 whilst on international duty last month, though has since returned to England and is available for this weekend’s fixture.
“Eric has been isolating back home in the Ivory Coast and he is back in England now and we hope he can be available for the weekend,” Solskjaer added.
“Hopefully he can train tomorrow [Friday] depending on how he feels within himself but he has had the tests today so we need to get the confirmation that he is still negative.”