Ralf Rangnick insists that Edinson Cavani will ‘definitely’ not be leaving Manchester United in January, despite speculation surrounding the forward’s future.
Cavani has been linked with an exit this month after a frustrating start to the season, with the Uruguay international having started just three league fixtures as a result of fitness issues and competition for places.
Barcelona and Corinthians had been credited with an interest in the 34-year-old, who signed a one-year contract extension last summer after an impressive first campaign in English football that delivered 17 goals in all competitions.
Rangnick has now revealed his desire for Cavani – who started the 3-1 win over Burnley on December 30 – to remain with the club until the end of the season, admitting the star provides his side with a different profile of forward.
“We had a few conversations in the last couple of weeks – probably the player with whom I have spoken most,” he told his pre-match press conference. “I told him from the first day that he is a highly important player. He is probably the only one who can play as a striker back to goal and face to goal.
“His professionalism, his work ethic is amazing and I told him that I desperately want him to stay until the end of the season. He also knows how highly I rate him and respect him, and that was also the reason why I played him from the beginning together with Cristiano [against Burnley].
“He knows that I will definitely not let him go. I would rather have another Edi on top of that but for me it’s clear that Edi has to stay. With regard to the other players [leaving in the transfer window], yes, our squad is maybe a bit big with regards to numbers but we still have Covid, we have three competitions.”
Read Also – The funniest footballing moments of 2021