Monday, May 27, 2024
HomePremier LeagueNewcastle suffer setback in Ruben Neves transfer pursuit

Newcastle suffer setback in Ruben Neves transfer pursuit

Newcastle United have been dealt a bow in their pursuit of former Wolves star Ruben Neves ahead of the January transfer window. 

The Magpies are in the market for a midfielder after Sandro Tonali was suspended from all football for 10 months after being found in breach of betting rules.

Neves has been heavily linked with a return to the Premier League with reports claiming that Newcastle want to take Neves on loan in January – just months after the Portuguese international moved Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal in the summer.

 

However, a fresh report has put the potential move into doubt, as The Athletic claim that Neves is “not expected” to leave Saudi Arabia so soon after his £47 million transfer. The 26-year-old is said to be “happy and settled” at Al-Hilal, who currently top the SPL standings.

The state’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) own both the Riyadh outfit and Newcastle, which has become a bone of contention ahead of a Premier League shareholders meeting this week.

The Premier League are attempting to temporarily ban its clubs from making loan signings from teams who operate under the same ownership, on which they will take a vote on Tuesday.

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe indicated earlier this month that the club would be resisting the new rule ahead of the vote.

“We will work within whatever rules the Premier League set and we have to respect those rules,” he said. “We just have to react to the changes. But I will leave you to decide why those rules are coming in.”

Read – Newcastle double blow ahead of Chelsea & Man Utd clashes

See Also – Arsenal to offer Ruben Neves a Premier League return


Cult Kits: Hundreds of shirts added to store each week


Subscribe to our social channels:

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

RELATED ARTICLES
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Most Popular

Related Posts