Steve Bruce has bemoaned the ‘personal’ agenda against his position as Newcastle manager but admits recent displays have been ‘unacceptable’ from his side.
Bruce has come under increasing pressure following a difficult run of form for the Magpies, who have failed to win in their past eight fixtures in all competitions to slide towards the bottom three and exit both cup competitions.
The recent results – including a dire 1-0 loss to previously winless Sheffield United – have done little to boost Bruce’s popularity on Tyneside, with the 60-year-old having faced an uphill battle to win favour since being named as successor to the popular Rafael Benitez at St James’ Park.
Bruce admits that recent performances have not been good enough but says he will not be ‘giving in’ as he bids to turn the Magpies’ fortunes around, though has bemoaned the continued criticism he has received since being appointed Newcastle boss.
“I have to accept what is coming my way” Bruce said at a pre-match press conference.
“When I took the job, it’s been personal from day one, certain people out there think i shouldn’t be in the job to start with,” said Bruce.
“All I can do is accept it and try not to be too down with it. We knew we had a difficult run, but I’ve made a career of never giving in, and I won’t.
“Simply not acceptable against Sheffield United and Brentford, and we have to accept what is coming my way.”
Newcastle return to Premier League action when they travel to face Arsenal on Monday night, before facing Aston Villa in a rearranged fixture next weekend.