Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says Manchester United will target young talent this summer, but insists a title challenge next season would be ‘miraculous’.
Manchester United are set for a significant overhaul this summer, with several first-team players set to leave Old Trafford following the club’s failure to qualify for the Champions League.
Solskjaer has outlined his transfer plans for the coming window, saying the club will target players they believe can have a long-term future at the club.
The 46-year-old’s transfer plans seem to indicate a change in the club’s recruitment policy, with former manager Jose Mourinho often opting for experienced, ready-made additions.
Solskjaer insists his bid to revive the club’s fortunes remains a long-term project, believing a title challenge next season is an unrealistic expectation.
“I think I have been quite honest that challenging for the title next year would be a miraculous season because we are so far behind points-wise,” said Solskjaer ahead of Sunday’s visit of Cardiff.
“Next season we have to close that gap, if we manage to get to February or March and still be close then that’s fantastic.
“If not, this summer will also be about players that can last here for many years. No it’s not just about ready-made players. We’ve never been a ready-made club.
“Ronaldo was never ready-made, Wayne Rooney was never ready-made. Loads of the players that come here and really developed into the top superstars that they have become.
“That’s always going to be the model – that we will develop players because I’ve got the best staff, the best environment.
“And the best supporters because they love players that excite them, that get them off their seats and we hope to get some of them in.”