Arsenal are said to be preparing an improved offer for Moises Caicedo after the midfield publicly asked to leave the club.
The Brighton midfielder has enjoyed a stunning emergence in the last two years, moving to the Premier League as a relatively unknown player, to have a number of the big six linked with an interest in him.
Liverpool and Manchester United were said to be keen in the summer, while Chelsea saw a £55 million bid for his services rejected last week.
Brighton boss Roberto de Zerbi revealed that he had sat down with Caicedo and spoken to him like a father in a bid to convince him to stay with the Seagulls, with the Italian saying that the midfielder was ‘relaxed’.
However, Caicedo has since gone public and has asked to leave the club.
“I am grateful to Mr Bloom and Brighton for giving me the chance to come to the Premier League and I feel I have always done my best for them. I always play football with a smile and with heart,” he wrote on Instagram.
“I am the youngest of 10 siblings from a poor upbringing in Santa Domingo in Ecuador. My dream always to be the most decorated player in the history of Ecuador.
“I am proud to be able to bring in a record transfer fee for Brighton which would allow them to reinvest it and help the club continue to be successful.
“The fans have taken me into their hearts and they will always be in my heart so I hope they can understand why I want to take up this magnificent opportunity.”
Now, according to Football Insider, Arsenal are preparing to improve their offer to £65 million in a bid to land the 21-year-old.
Mikel Arteta was already known to be interested in strengthening his midfield options, though that need may be more pressing after the influential Thomas Partey was forced to be withdrawn at half time during the Gunners 1-0 loss to Manchester City in the FA Cup on Friday night, with the Ghanaian set to have an MRI scan.