Benfica have insisted that discussions with Chelsea over a deal for Enzo Fernandez are ‘closed’ and that the midfielder will remain at the club.
Chelsea had been in talks over a deal for Fernandez as the west Londoners looked to to sign the World Cup winner, but Benfica hit out at the approach from the Premier League side and perceived attempts to unsettle the 21-year-old.
Graham Potter’s side are understood to have agreed personal terms with Fernandez before reaching an agreement with Benfica, with the player missing training as he looked to push for a move to Stamford Bridge.
Benfica were also unhappy with Chelsea’s attempt to negotiate Fernandez’s €120m (£106m) release clause, having initially verbally agreed to meet the asking price.
Last week, Benfica manager Roger Schmidt slammed Chelsea ‘disrespectful’ attempts to sign Fernandez and has now confirmed that negotiations with the Blues are ‘closed’.
Schmidt confirmed that the Argentina international will remain in Lisbon until the summer at least and Fernandez could return for Tuesday’s Taca de Portugal clash with Varzim.
“The issue with Enzo is closed, there is no issue anymore,” the Benfica boss told a press conference on Monday. “He’s our player, he’s in a very good condition, he’s training well, he’s happy, so he’s part of the squad and a key player. I think I’ve already said everything about him.”