Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted that it ‘doesn’t look like’ Manchester United will be able to keep hold of Angel Gomes following interest from Premier League rivals, Chelsea.
The 19-year-old is out of contract on Tuesday, and has so far failed to agree to new terms, despite having reportedly been offered a £30,000-a-week deal.
Gomes, who captained England to U17 World Cup glory back in 2017, made his Manchester United debut aged 16 under Jose Mourinho, becoming the youngest player to represent the club since Duncan Edwards back in 1953, though has been restricted to just five Premier League appearances in over three years.
Solskjaer has handed plenty of opportunities to the likes of Brandon Williams and Mason Greenwood this season, though the diminutive Gomes has been restricted to just 292 minutes of football, the vast majority of which has been in the clubs Europa League campaign, with the teenager said to be keen on more playing time.
Chelsea have been reported to be keen on the youngster, who is the godson of former United winger Nani, and speaking ahead of Tuesday’s game against Brighton, Solskjaer admitted that agreement on a new contract now looks unlikely.
“There is no news. Nothing,” the Norwegian said at his pre-match press conference. “It doesn’t look like it (will be an agreement).
“I have not heard anything last night or this morning. If that is still the case, the answer is short and yes (he will be leaving).”
Gomes has not featured in any of Manchester United’s matchday squad’s since the Premier League restart, despite there being two additional places on the bench, his last involvement seeing him on the bench for January’s league game against Burnley.