Maurizio Sarri has incredibly revealed that he found out that he had been replaced as Napoli manager while watching TV.
Sarri led Napoli to a second place finish in Serie A last season, amassing a club record 91 points thanks to his exciting ‘Sarri-ball’ tactics, but still found himself being replaced by Carlo Ancelotti.
However, the 59-year-old Italian has said he found out about Ancelotti’s appointment, and effectively about his own sacking by watching TV while out for dinner:
“I was having dinner with Cristiano Giuntoli’s [Napoli sporting director] assistant and we were debating whether I should have stayed or not,” he said.
“We turned on the television right in the second when Ancelotti was walking in Filmauro [president Aurelio De Laurentiis’ film studio]. I wasn’t happy.
“But now I have Chelsea and I’m happy. Here it’s a party, it’s a pleasure to arrive at the stadium and see supporters wearing different shirts having a beer together.
“I don’t know why I’m not still at Napoli. There were motives for me to stay there, but also a few doubts.
“The president pretended me to sign a contract with a buy-out clause expiring on May 31, but they signed Ancelotti on May 21.
“I didn’t want that clause, and they didn’t respect the timings. But I’m grateful to De Laurentiis, because he gave me the opportunity to coach the team I have in my heart.
“If I’m here at Chelsea it’s because I coached Napoli.”