What is curling
Curling is a winter Olympic sport in which two teams of four play on the ice. The goal of the game is to hit a round goal, called a “house,” located on the opposite side of the ice, with stones. Both men and women can play.
Teams take turns trying to place their stones as close to the center of the house as possible, using their skills and tactical prowess. They can also use special ice brushes to change the speed and direction of the stone. Each team has 8 stones to reach the goal.
Scoring occurs after each round when stones that are closer to the center of the lodge than the opponent’s stones receive points. At the end of the game, the team with the most points wins.
Curling is a game of high tactics, strategy and accuracy, and it is popular in many countries around the world.
Curling is played on a rectangular shaped field. The field is covered with ice. The size of the field is 45 meters long and 5 meters wide. Circles called houses are located on both sides of the court. The diameter of the central circle is 3.66 m. The temperature on the field is provided at -5 degrees.
On the field there are special markings:
- Tee line – located along the entire field to the center of the bag.
- Back line – the line at the end of the center circle, runs along the width of the field, 6 feet from the previous line, parallel to it. If a stone crosses this line, it is removed from the game.
- Hog line – runs parallel to the tee line on which teams throw a stone at a target. Between the Hog line and the t-line is 6.4 m.
- Center line – the axis that passes through the center of the target along the field.
- Hack line is 2 lines. Pads are placed on these lines. They are placed at the ends of the center line. They run parallel to the first line.
- The control line is the position of players who are not currently making a shot. It is applied on both sides of the field at a distance of just over a meter from the home line.
If you do not want to go out of the house, you can find entertainment at online sites. A great way to spend your free time can be 1win games.
History of the game
One version of the origin of curling is the theory that Scandinavian sailors played during their voyages. During their games, they noticed that stones struck with a stick would begin to twist and slide on the ice. Thus, they created the original version of the game.
Over time, curling became a popular pastime in Scotland, where players used copperware as stones. In 1807, the first curling community was founded, and since then the game began to gain popularity in other countries around the world.
In 1924, curling was included in the Winter Olympics in Charlois-Mezieres, France. Since then it became an official sport at the Olympic Winter Games.
Today curling is an international sport popular in more than 50 countries. In 2002 the World Curling Federation was established, which regulates the rules of the game and organizes international competitions.