Conte gives Barkley update

Antonio Conte has given an update on the fitness of new signing Ross Barkley ahead of Wednesday’s Carabao Cup semi final fixture against Arsenal.

Barkley made a £15m move from Everton to Stamford Bridge last week, having only just returned to training with Everton in recent weeks. He is yet play a single minute of football this season after being out with a long term injury.

However, Antonio Conte has revealed he is very pleased with the 24-year-olds condition, but admitted that Wednesdays game will come way too soon for him to make his debut.

Speaking in his pre match press conference, the Italian said:

“Tomorrow night I think is very soon, very soon for him,” said Conte.

“But we must be pleased because his physical condition is good, and he has started to train with us, understand our football.

“I think that we must be pleased, but he needs a bit of time to work on the physical and tactical aspects. His condition is good, very good.”

Asked when Barkley would be ready for action, Conte continued:

“I don’t know, it’s very difficult to say now.

“But at the same time I’m very positive, because the player is a good guy, he’s shown great will to work, great desire to help us very soon.

“And I think it’s very positive. I’m very happy to have Ross with us for the rest of the season.”

Check Also

Report: Chelsea looking to exploit loophole to sack Antonio Conte on the cheap

Chelsea are hoping to exploit a legal loophole that could finally bring an end to ...

Like our content?

SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER